achu

Monday, January 9, 2012

Resolution Update: Book #1

Right now, I'm reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Bonnie recommended it to me and even let me borrow hers. I'm only halfway there but I really like it so far.


The style is interesting; it's written like the main character is telling her story to you, the reader, as a friend and she meanders like anyone would in a conversation. She is starting to tell you about a particular incident but then remembers she has to tell you how it led up to it, and perhaps how the whole thing even started, way back when they were kids. So, chapter by chapter, you get fragments of details told through a general story that you have to piece together.

It's set in a parallel past, I think, and tells the lives of three friends who realize they were born with a purpose that they have no control over and become disillusioned as they try to accept their reality.

The reason why this book is so good is because of the mystery. You get little subtle pieces of information that you have to piece together and once the revelation comes, it's like "WOAH! WHAT?" The readers are  presented right off the bat with all they need to know but only start to realize it when the author wants them to through the narrator's own musings. We are led through this journey of self realization in the exact same pacing that the characters themselves are and don't even realize it until the end.

Even though I'm only halfway through, I still don't even know much about the book. Is it Sci Fi? Is it set in the past? future? But it's these questions that keep me loving it.

In other words... deep. So deep . (turns out it was made into a movie in 2010!)



Today, I went to the library to embark upon my New Years Resolution:  Read a Classic every month. Well, I modified it. Instead, I'm going to try to read 2 classics a month: 1 that I choose, and 1 from an author in alphabetical order that I have no real choice in.

I picked up The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf by Edward Albee.

No comments:

Post a Comment