Yesterday I had a party Thursday, or at least my version of a party Thursday.
In the afternoon, I saw Harry Potter with Thuyet. I actually really liked the movie, even if I had the book playing in my head at the same time. There's something about watching another person's vision off the exact same book complete with explosions, magic, and random scene breaks.
Afterwards, we had a celebratory Kbbq birthday dinner at Ha Jae Chong with Lusha, Wen, Julie, and Thuyet.
and then... I zoomed off to West Hollywood to watch Love etc, this indie film/documentary by a first time director.
I REALLY liked that movie. It was light and really sappy but it was the perfect ending to the day. It followed 5 real life couples around New York documentary style- an old married "the perfect couple," high school sweethearts going to college, an Indian couple engaged for 4 years about to get married, a single dad trying to find romance, and a gay single dude getting ready for his surrogate to give birth.
I like to tell people to have "emotional courage" when it comes to love. I think this is very important because people can be courageous physically, they can be fearless in their career, they can be very confident in different aspects of their life, but I think that emotional courage is very different from physical courage. And emotional courage requires you to be vulnerable and willing to take a chance and open yourself up to the possibility of being rejected, or having it not work out or not getting what you want. But the only way you can get what you want (as far as having a connected relationship with someone else that you're just getting to know) is to be emotionally courageous. And if you're unwilling to be emotionally courageous, you're automatically stopping yourself from the possibility of getting that thing that you want — that everyone wants, that connected experience with another person that's emotional, physical, intellectual, etc. And so I think "emotional courage," or being "emotionally courageous," is a key thing for people to absorb if they're looking to meet someone and engage in a relationship.
No comments:
Post a Comment