achu

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Om

Tonight, I had a very intense (Vinyasa) session of yoga at 24 today, with my favorite instructor Yu. Intense meaning, at the end of it, all the windows and mirrors were fogged up and I was basically left in a hot sweaty mess with a shirt that felt like it gained 10 pounds! (Sorry, that's a gross description) But, I wasn't the only one in that super crowded groupEx room tonight that was so glad it was over, but so happy to have gone through it. 

Because of a busier schedule and not being able to go as often in the mornings, I only went once last week and I felt  a major difference. I was so stiff and not able to hold poses as long, and had to really warm myself up to be as flexible as I usually am. Hence, hot sweaty mess

Mountain Pose. Swan Dive. Forward Fold. Look Up. Forward Fold. Plank. Vinyasa, Chaturanga. Upward Facing Dog. Downward Dog. So many times! When does it end???? Wow, am I getting buffer from these pushups? 

At first I was totally fine and happy. And then we hit the hard ones, the ones where only a handful of us can even attempt or successfully do, while all the others sort of just sit there and watch us with their mouths open. 

Crow, Horse, Tortoise pose, Leg over shoulder stretch, etc. 

I've always been naturally, sort of freakishly, flexible and I get a lot of wide eyed stares. Quite embarrassing actually, please don't judge me strangers! 

Yu definitely was feeling fiesty tonight since she saw a lot of us trying really hard and wanted to give everyone a glimpse of what they could do if they kept coming and trying. (For sure it took a while but I kept coming and looked dumb while trying my hardest, but eventually I got somewhere). I looked around and everyone looked pretty content- no one was like "oh helll no, I'm outta here you crazy bleeps." And I've been seeing the same faces every week, so they all come back! 

But regardless, it's definitely an intense p90x level workout and today was no joke (but boy, do I feel like I got a great workout). Yoga is for the persistent! 


I've been going to yoga regularly since last January, so it's almost been a year and a half since I started fresh as a wide eyed newcomer thinking to myself "holy hot dog on a stick, did she really just stick her legs there? and she wants me to do what now?" I'm kind of excited what I'll be able to do by year two. I remember starting out and seriously not being able to reach my toes in the forward fall or feeling tortured when I was in triangle.  It's become much more than a hobby or destress-er but a time for myself and self improvement as well as a swift kick in the butt. I feel like you really come to terms with your body's limits and push yourself each time. 

Hence, even though I've been pussyfooting around getting a tattoo for about two years now, I'm fairly certain I still want one of this- 

Om

Where and by who? Still in the works.
Fun fact: One of my favorite things to say  is "Just Breathe."

No comments:

Post a Comment