achu

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

New Book- The Street of a Thousand Blossoms

I was at Costco today buying my usual breakfast fruits, blueberries, bananas, and apples. But when I was taking my time walking through the book section, I saw a book that I just had to buy.


The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama for the Costco price of $5.99. In high school Reader's Club freshman year, we had a choice of reading two Gail Tsukiyama books- Women of the Silk or Samurai's Garden.  Gail Tsukiyama, born in San Francisco to a Chinese mother and a Japanese father, writes historical fictions that always tie into these Chinese or Japanese roots. Culture, identity, and family are usually strong themes in her books, similar to the more famous Amy Tan novels. I ended up reading both books that year and went to the library to read the rest of Tsukiyama's works. I still have my own copy of Samurai's Garden (one of my favorite books) on my shelf that I do reread from time to time (I think Women of the Silk is forever lost at my cousin's). 

When I saw she had a new book and that it was super cheap, I decided to get it on the whim. Every single book that I've read of hers, I learned something new about Chinese/Japanese history. Reading the inside cover, I think I'm going to get an education about sumo wrestling or Noh theater masks. Who knows?

I haven't read any reviews yet (I can spoil television but books are too precious!) so I'm excited to start reading with a totally fresh mind. Sorry world, I'll be back after I finish this book (okay... maybe I'll take breaks to blog and gym) (my priorities in summer are random) 


No comments:

Post a Comment