Yesterday, James moved out of his UCLA dorm apartment into a brand new (somewhat smelly) place of his own, with a roomie, in Culver City.
The night before I was afraid I'd sleep through the entire day in a drunken haze of laziness. But luckily, I got up easily and early and just waited until he wanted me to head over. So around 11AM, I left home to drive over to the UCLA area and got ready to lend a hand. James picked a perfect day to move (even though it was a day before classes started) because it was sunny without a cloud in the sky.
Did I say perfect? I meant hot, hot, and more hot.
With James' mom, dad, brother Thomas, Amy, and me there, it didn't take too long. When I got to James' new place, we moved a queen sized bed and some luggage into his new apartment. I actually didn't know what was happening because I figured I'd just show up and be muscle and thought we were done. But it turns out, it was only a fraction of the stuff!
So we went back to UCLA and moved more and more stuff until James' dad's van and his own car was packed to capacity. It really made me wish I had siblings because it really does take an army to move from apartment to apartment. We had to make one more trip back to UCLA to get the rest of his bigger things- a loveseat, desks, etc but around 3PM we were all done and James moved in. (Apparently I am the sweat king because my shirt was obviously drenched) (Botox on the back, for excessive sweating?)
After his family left, Agustin (he came right after I told Amy we were done) (best timing ever!), Amy, and I basically hung out in James' room while he started unpacking and putting the little things away. While talking to them, I realized how good I have it this summer and how I've been going out quite a bit. I don't think I'll ever call myself a partier but okay, I've been having a good hooligan time this summer so far. If you want something, take charge and plan it!
Post moving day chilling + Lazy Sunday. I guess they look bored in these pictures but we moved the whole day!
Afterwards, we all went to Target to get a few random things (air fresheners for James because his apartment smelled a little strange, Monopoly Deal for me). Agustin decided to go to the slowest Starbucks ever that took way too long for a Tall Caramel Frap. (Our legs hurt standing there waiting)
Then we got food at Thai Boom, this place we yelped that was right around the corner from James. His new place has highly rated places all around him so every time we go over, we can have food adventures. One that I need to go to is Coppelia's Bakery, pretty much a walk from James' that has a cinco (that is correct, cinco) leches cake that I can't stop thinking about.
I decided to try the Green Mango Salad. When I ordered it, I didn't even know what it was but the waitress said it was one of the most popular. Fresh and delicious (but so spicy even though I asked for in between mild and medium)
Our fortunes! Mine was the potential urge. Amy's a mysterious. Agustin sky's the limit. James is special.
We parked on the street and walked a little bit to the restaurant. On the way there we saw this. "Hardwood. Domestic. Exotic. Foreign" located right next to a cocktail lounge. Hmmmmmm
My identity and happiness is inexorably linked to my friendships. I'll do close to anything for my best friends. I'll listen, I'll drive, I'll be there to lend a hand. I don't think of it as a burden or bother. I'll go to Irvine, LA, Carson, Alhambra if someone needs a ride or hand. I hope they know that.
As cliche or fake or cheesy this could all sound, I sincerely mean it because what's the point of reaching the top if there's no best friend hug waiting you?
No comments:
Post a Comment