achu

Friday, June 24, 2011

The boy who was truthful, courageous, and noble

From The Street of a Thousand Blossoms, page 189-190

"'When I was growing up, my mother told me a story about three majestic mountains- each named for qualities she hoped would be instilled in me as a man- Truth Mountain, Courage Mountain, and Noble Mountain. On each mountain was a village where the villagers worked to remain true to their mountain's name. And one by one, each failed the test. That is, until a young orphan boy came along who didn't belong to any of the mountain villages, yet held the characteristics of all three mountains.'

'My mother never ended the story.' He laughed. 'Each night she told me a different story which tested the boy's courage, his sense of truth, or nobility. I believe she wanted me to figure out for myself how one boy could possess all the attributes the mountains had to offer. Within each story was a lesson. I understood what it meant to have rouage and to tell the truth, but as a boy it was always the Noble Mountain that confused me the most. 'What does it mean to be noble?' I asked her.'

'You didn't know I would be telling you a bedtime story, did you? But you must understand, Hiroshi, that there's a story behind everything. To be noble, my mother said, was to account for the life you lived, to always account for your mistakes, and to have dignity and worth. I later came to realize it has everything to do with what it means to be a sumotori.'

'Hai,' Hiroshia agreed. 'And did you ever figure out how the boy could possess all three traits?'

Tanaka paused and shook his head. 'I suppose the boy wasn't hampered by the destiny of each mountain. he lived his life the best way he could, thereby achieving all.'" 


I read this and thought 2 things:
1) This is why we had to do those reading response logs in English class! When not forced to do homework, I can really enjoy the themes/lessons the author's trying to get at. 

2) Instead of worrying about who I want to be or who I am right now, just live life the best I can and I'll be who I'm meant to be.


----

I just finished the book. There are books where after you get to that last page, you slow down. As each sentence, each word, approaches, you feel like you're at the end of a long transformative journey. There's a warmth pulsing in your chest as tears start to well up and then you get to the resolution. A surge of emotions like you're saying goodbye to a good friend. Thanks The Street of a Thousand Blossoms, you'll be friend I'll reread.

It's one of those books where you feel like you've watched these boys grow up all their lives, through happiness and tragedy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment