achu

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Airport Reunion

Today, I woke up super late (thank you coma-inducing antihistamines) and had to rush out the door.

Quickly putting on some clothes, brushing my teeth and washing my face, and then grabbing an apple for breakfast, I dashed out the door to get in my car and drive to Carson. I was supposed to be at Monica's at 11:30am so we could go pick up Tiffany from the airport, the last of my Berkeley friends who was moving back home to So Cal.

When I got there, I was a little early, so me and Monica played with her dog, Benji, a hulking tank of a lab/boxer mix on her front yard. Well, it was more like Monica threw a frisbee and toy football while I looked with a huge smile on my face (occasionally wiping off the surprising amount of slobber that got on me every time I pet him). 

After a while, we left for the Long Beach airport and got to catch up with each other on the car ride. I was kind of excited because this checked off another airport off the list. In California, I've been to Ontario, Burbank, LAX, Irvine, and now Long Beach! Long Beach is... kind of like Burbank, small and not very memorable. 

Tiffany looked super tired and pretty subdued, so of course for lunch we decided to get Italian, the food of rich carby food coma heaven. The Deli News was just as yelp stated- a double whammy of super cheap for super portions. The food was nothing spectacular but not bad either. But $5 for a huge sandwich that I enjoyed?! I'd come back and be happy. 

I'm a little weirded out, but not in a bad way, that all my good Berkeley friends have relocated down to So Cal. The first year after moving back home from Berkeley, I didn't really keep in touch that well (which might also be an understatement). I got swept up with my high school friends, catching up for lost time (since I was the only one who couldn't go home every weekend). During that time, Amy was in Irvine and I was car-less, James started med school, and Agustin, Monica, or Tiffany was still at Berkeley. I wasn't close with Thuyet and he wasn't even at USC yet (we wouldn't start hanging out until last year, February?). I think Gabriel was in his on online world, but to be honest, I can't quite remember. Lenny was also all over the world (quite literally) and the time between our conversations grew quite considerably.

I was in oblivious happiness just being able to spend time with the high school friends I had only seen maybe four times a year, though I was on the phone with practically everyday (at last the girls anyway). To be honest, I can't really remember what we even did besides board game nights and...being at Lisa's house. While I was still in "highschool" mode, I never once doubted the depth and realness of my friendships with those people. But eventually, after I removed that history-blindfold from my eyes, I saw that a lot happened while I was away at Berkeley and I wasn't necessarily a priority friend- I was the positive chill guy I always was, thinking I was part of the best friend crew when I was more of an afterthought (exacerbated especially since I wasn't living in San Gabriel anymore).

Well eventually, things didn't work out well with my high school (ex) buds, which is a story for another day, and I ran back to everyone (Amy, James, Agustin, Gabriel, Monica, Lenny) with my tail between my legs and tears in my eyes (real men aren't afraid to admit it). Since then, I hope I've become a much better friend, especially now no matter how busy we get, we hang out at least every 2 weeks (and I somehow end up talking/emailing/texting them practically everyday).

Now, I hope my actions and thoughts shine louder than my (lack of) phone skills and I know they're  worth more than my sappy sappy blog entries.

It's weird (but in a good way) that all the people I talk to the most are all only an hour away tops. A happy afterthought I just had is that I forgot to write that I webcammed with Bonnie the other day. I forgot until that day how much we're so alike and how much I enjoy just having any random conversation with her.

Hi Bonnie! Middle school buddies! 

I was actually writing this entry on the car ride home by voicing my thoughts out loud, but it's much too late and so much was lost in translation to text. I think I'm going to go back and make it a real entry (much too scattered)

No comments:

Post a Comment