achu

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Get to the plot already!

For those who know me, I always say that I'm very plot driven. I don't care about special effects or amazing cinematography. I just want to know what happens to my favorite characters. Get to the plot already! I don't want to see breathe taking shots of the mountains or explosions in 3D. Just tell me what happens!

An example that I can think of most recently is the Pirates of the Caribbean movie I watched a couple weekends ago.

*SPOILER ALERT (but nothing too central to the main plot I guess) *

So at the very end of the movie, when that mermaid comes back for the preacher dude, who is bleeding from the stab wound and takes him under, is he... dead? Is it a happy ending? Does he become a merman and live happily ever after under the sea? OR DOES SHE JUST EAT HIM like the pirates were saying mermaids did earlier. (recap: the pirates said that mermaids come on boats, grab sailors and bring them under, have their ways with them *aka do the mermaid no pants dance*, and then EATS them). 

So... he sacrificed everything for her and there were so many misunderstandings. The mermaid said she'd end all his sufferings- so does that mean she put him out of his misery and ATE him? Or like, magically healed him, enabled him to bring underwater, and lived happily ever after.

When I first came out of the theater, I was totally under the assumption that since it was a Disney movie (Little Mermaid-esque), they had the happy ending. But then Amy burst my bubble and said he was totally eaten. Both could make sense. SO WHAT WAS IT? 

Unresolved plot issues totally drive me insane, especially if I notice and fixate on it.

*End of Spoiler*

If the story is well written and engaging, I don't mind if it lacks the fancy stuff. (Actually if I'm reading a book and there's pretty bad grammar, I get pretty annoyed). But the reason I'm writing this post is because, I realized I

1) am really impatient when it comes to story
2) that guy who would rather read spoilers and recaps than watch the show/read the book and ruin all surprises

I say this because at the moment, I'm reading korean drama recaps at dramabeans.com before even watching any of these dramas. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to the recaps with the complete story lines than the actual dramas themselves. I can get through episodes way quicker (10 minutes an episode versus 40?!) despite the fact that all these recaps are written from someone else's point of view (these girls tend to reallllllly like posting pictures of shower scenes where the male lead is full of angst and it's basically back porn). And I don't have to wait for the subbed versions. It's basically a win-win for me! 

Sure, I ruin most of the plot twists and surprises but... I'm okay with that as long as I don't have to wait to know what happens. 

Often times, I'll read all the recaps of dramas I'll be watching or plan to watch (or if it's a concurrently airing drama, read them as they come out) and then eventually actually watch the drama. And most of the time, I actually forget what happens so it's all a muddled surprise eventually anyway. (It helps that right now I'm reading the recaps for 4 different dramas and nothing sticks to memory) 

.
.
.


I feel like I've just had one big hot mess of a conversation and ended back where I started at, to no where. But that pretty adequately describes how I go about watching Korean Dramas anyway haha. 

For the record, I'm reading Romance Town, Lie to Me, City Hunter, and now Miss Ripley. :)



good quote from Romance Town: "I like overweight guys better, because the one I knew was friendly and kind, and generous with a pure heart."

Yeah yeah overweight as kids nice guys unite!

No comments:

Post a Comment