achu

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Monica's Grad Party


This is a picture I sneaked a shot of from Monica's family pictures. She's the one crying. 

Thuyet's so cool playing Beer Pong. Agustin is wasted. Amy is amused.
On Saturday, Thuyet, Amy, and I went to Monica's graduation party at her house in Carson. I've never been to a Pilipino party before (and I paused a few seconds after typing that because I still don't even know the proper way to spell it) but I just knew I'd have a good time. 

We got there and Monica, Darrell, and her fam/friends were in a jumper (those bouncy forts). It was the first time I've been in a jumper, at 23 years of age, and I was definitely the largest one in there. We basically sat there kind of awkwardly staring at Monica's cute nieces behave like wild animals. Then was food (dessert). and food (dessert). and more good food. (dessert). They all tasted the same- coconut, gelatinous, and sticky but it was still good each time I tried something. 

Monica got caked in the face, hair, and generally all over and blah blah blah I'll ease over that part. But after the alcohol started to settle in, things got decidedly less awkward. I guess it didn't help that we didn't really know most of the people there and only a small handful of us were there for Monica, while everyone and their mom (literally Monica's mom) was partying with Monica's brother Mark. We went to the backyard, aka Bayya party central which had xbox, beer pong, tables of MORE food, and even a giant ice luge. I was DD or else I totally would have tried it. But Darrell kept saying it basically tasted like rubbing alcohol... so maybe it was better I didn't. Thuyet and Agustin were beer pong champions (Agustin turned into dirty Sanchez and airballed like. almost everything) and Monica even played for the first time and slaughtered the pair. 

Meanwhile me, Amy, and Timmy basically just watched everything, sat around, and talked with Monica when she wasn't disappearing and running around and being a good host to her scattered friends. There were occasional interruptions in the lull by Mark, who is definitely a fun touchy happy drunk. I got a couple shoulder massages and high fives (so did everyone else who had a pulse) and I didn't even really know him. 

The best parts of the night was definitely spending more random time with my buds, seeing Thuyet open up a little (with the help of Mr. Alcohol) to Amy, seeing Monica (and her pictures) (and being closer than 550 miles away), and just being able to appreciate how chill we've all become. Sure, we didn't go balls to the wall crazy and party it up but I had a really good time regardless. 

I also want an ice luge at my birthday party too. 

Monica's family party also really reminds me of my childhood family parties on my dad's side. We didn't ever invite friends or neighbors but my dad's side was just so big that every Thanksgiving, Mother's Father's day, Christmas, 4th of July, etc was just as lively (and full of food). Good memories! 

No comments:

Post a Comment